Full disclosure: I’m more of a pastor than a techie. Don’t get me wrong – I love all aspects of using media to create experiences where people grow closer to Jesus. I love computers, cameras, lighting, audio, sets, switchers, and other production gear. But my passion is people.
So I’m coming at this topic fully knowing that I’m biased, but I do believe wholeheartedly that you can have all the production gear in the world and all the best toys, but it’s all for naught if you don’t consider people. If you don’t invest in both the audience you’re creating your experience for and the volunteers and staff that help you execute your experience, in church world, I believe you’re missing the point.
With that in mind I’d like to submit to you the one thing, that if you focus on, I promise your team will grow more than you ever thought possible: people.
As a Church Media Director, I could get so wrapped up on Sunday’s with the details of the service- how transitions went, how camera shots looked, whether we hit that guitar solo, if lyrics were late, if the videos fired correctly, and on and on… that I didn’t step back enough to minister to my team and those around me.
Here are 5 easy ways you can be intentional about pouring into people:
- Pray for your Team Members by name.
- Reserve one day a week where you take a volunteer to lunch to talk about what God is doing in their life.
- Write one note (a physical note or that you mail, not an e-mail or text) a day telling one team member how glad you are they are on your team and that you are praying for them.
- Reserve one night a month where you and your spouse invite another couple or a few members of your team over to your house to hang out.
- Spend 10 minutes a day on Facebook and learn about the lives of your volunteers. Be sure to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and other life moments.
These are just five simple ways you can put pastoring your people over your process.
I’ve recorded several podcast episodes on the topic of focusing on people and growing your Volunteer Team. For more free training, check out those episodes here.